Why Might I Need to Use a VPN?
The VPN (Virtual Private Network) gateway is a network access service which permits remote systems to access the ND network as if they were physically located on the ND campus network. In technical terms, it allows remote systems to obtain a campus IP address, for purposes of access to certain restricted on-campus systems.
Recommended VPN Instructions for all ND faculty, staff, & students
- Connecting from Windows (Vista/7), Mac (10.6-10.7), or Linux using VPNAccess
- Connecting from Windows 8/Mac (10.8) - Download the software from the OIT Software Downloads page
- Connecting from an iPhone or other iOS device
- Connecting from an Android device
- Connect to a special access VPN group
- How to Connect to VPN-DC (Requires Log-In)
- VPN-DC Access for Vendors (Requires Log-In)
Note: Chrome OS, Windows RT and Windows Mobile do not support the VPN implementation used by Notre Dame at this time, which will limit the ability to access ND services from remote locations while using a Chromebook, other Chrome OS devices, Windows RT devices, and Windows Mobile phones. See Google's support page for additional information on supported VPN implementations.
Once you've installed the VPN software, you can reconnect to vpnaccess.nd.edu whenever needed by choosing the Cisco AnyConnect software, entering vpnaccess.nd.edu in the connect to field, and entering your NetID and password as shown below:
If you have still have problems connecting to ND services such as Google, Box or Sakai even after connecting to the VPN, please contact the OIT Help Desk (574-631-8111) for assistance.
LEGACY VPN instructions
If needed, you can install and use the legacy Cisco VPN. This VPN is only for faculty, staff, & students.
Contact the OIT Help Desk
Notre Dame ranks #6
on IDG's Computerworld
Best Places to
Work in IT 2016
Help Desk FAQs
- How do I change my password?
- I'm new to ND, how do I get started with IT services?
- How do I learn about other features of the VoIP telephone service?
- How do I access my email & calendar?
- How do I get on the wifi network?