Password Problems and Solutions
- Password Reset Options
- My Password Quit Working
- Password Considerations & Special Requirements
- Change Your Windows Machine Password
Try using the forgotten password service.
Visit the OIT Help Desk at 128 Debartolo Hall and present your state ID, driver’s license, passport, or Notre Dame ID card (must have a picture) for a password reset.
If you have a computer or mobile device with video capabilities, call the OIT Help Desk during normal business hours and request that they initiate a Zoom video conference with you. You can then show both your face and your photo ID to the campera to verify identity. The Help Desk staff can then reset your password and provide it to you verbally.
Students can call the OIT Help Desk at and supply the following information to receive a new password over the phone:
- NDID number
- Date of Birth
- Registrar Listed Address or Phone Number
Note: If you are in the Notre Dame/South Bend/Mishawaka area, you will need to stop by the Help Desk in person for assistance.
Faculty & Staff
Faculty, staff, and university affiliates can call the OIT Help Desk at (574) 631-8111 and supply the following information to receive a new password over the phone:
- NDID number
- Month and day of birth
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number
Alternatively, faculty, staff, and university affiliates can get a new password by calling the OIT Help Desk for a new password if we are able to verify identity by voice with another staff or faculty member at Notre Dame using a conference call.
Note: The OIT Help Desk representative must be able to find the colleague in the ND Directory, get their extension from the directory, contact them at that number, and have them confirm identity to reset a password.
For a password reset by fax, send a fax to the OIT Help Desk at 574-631-9883 with the following:
- Copy of State ID, Driver’s License, Passport, or Notre Dame ID Card (Must have a picture)
- Note Requesting a Password Reset
- Return Fax Number
Note: The OIT Help Desk cannot process your request if any of the above is unreadable in the fax as received, or if a return fax number is not provided. Passwords cannot be sent by email or any other means when requested by fax.
For situations where no other means are possible, a “reinsert” can be requested by phone or email to the OIT Help Desk. A reinsert is an overnight process that removes password information from a NetID without affecting email, file storage, or any other service associated with a NetID.
The day after a reinsert is requested, a new password can be set as if the NetID account had never been used. Visit the NetID Activation page, take the Responsible Use Policy quiz, and use your ndID and date of birth to set a new password.
The OIT Help Desk cannot provide password information by email or chat at this time.
Forgotten Password Service
Don’t forget to set up the Forgotten Password Service once you have your password reset. Once the service has been set up, a forgotten password can be changed without assistance from the OIT Help Desk on the I Forgot My Password page.
If you know your current password, but wish to change it for any reason, you can follow these instructions:
- Open a browser window (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari)
- Go to https://password.nd.edu
- Type your NetID in the NetID field.
- Type in your password in the Password field.
- Type a new password in the New Password field.
- Type the new password again in the Confirm Password field.
- Click on the Change Password button.
Some IT services may have specific requirements for your password to ensure you are able to successfully access the system.
After you change your password at https://accounts.nd.edu/password, you may also need to update your local machine password. To change the password on your local Windows computer:
- On the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel select User Accounts.
- In the User Accounts dialog, click on your personal user account.
- Next, choose Change your Password.
- Type your old password in the Current password field.
- Type your new password in the New password field.
- Type your new password AGAIN in the Confirm new password field
- If desired, you can enter a password hint.
- Click Change password.
Contact the OIT Help Desk
Notre Dame ranks #6
on IDG's Computerworld
Best Places to
Work in IT 2016
Help Desk FAQs
- How do I change my password?
- I'm new to ND, how do I get started with IT services?
- How do I learn about other features of the VoIP telephone service?
- How do I access my email & calendar?
- How do I get on the wifi network?