Google Contacts is where contact information is organized and stored. You can find more information on Google's Contact page.
How do I access my Contacts?
You can access your contacts in two ways:
- Click on the apps grid in the upper right corner of the screen, then select contacts. This will open your contacts in a new tab.
- Click Mail in the upper left corner of the screen, then select contacts. This will open your contacts in the same tab.
By default you will have several contact groups for your personal contacts. Additional detail on these groups is provided here by Google.
In addition, you will find the Directory. This is the online directory of all ND contacts.
Selecting the Right Address
There are often many individuals at ND with similar names and email addresses. It is important that you carefully review the options that appear when addressing email, to ensure that you are selecting the address for the individual you intend to reach. When entering addresses in the Compose window, you will only see the individual's name, email address, and photograph if they have included one in their profile. If you aren't sure which is the correct address from the information provided there, search for them in Contacts, particularly those that are under Domain Contacts. For faculty/staff you'll often find additional information such as their department, title, and phone number. You can also search the Enterprise Directory Service.
Additional tips to aid in selecting the right address include:
- To help others identify you from others with similar names, consider adding your picture to your Gmail profile. You can do this in Gmail by selecting Settings > My Picture.
- If you sent an email to the wrong address, update your personal contacts and remove the bad address. Otherwise, you may inadvertently use it again the next time.
- If you receive an email that appears to have been intended for someone else, take a few moments to reply to the sender and alert them to the error so they can take appropriate action. If this happens frequently, you might consider creating a canned response which you can quickly select and send.
Contacts Best Practices
There are many ways to use, and misuse, contacts. The tips below will help you get the most out of your contacts:
- Periodically find and merge duplicate contact entries to keep your contacts list tidy.
- Keep each contact separate, and utilize contact groups if you frequently email the same set of people.
- Import your contacts rather than adding them manually if you have a large number of contacts stored elsewhere.
Contact the OIT Help Desk
Notre Dame ranks #6
on IDG's Computerworld
Best Places to
Work in IT 2016
Help Desk FAQs
- How do I change my password?
- I'm new to ND, how do I get started with IT services?
- How do I learn about other features of the VoIP telephone service?
- How do I access my email & calendar?
- How do I get on the wifi network?