OS & Applications
The OIT offers a wide array of account, software, and hardware support to current Notre Dame students, faculty, and staff. Alumni, retired faculty, and retired staff are only eligible for support for their Notre Dame account.
The OIT provides device support for students, faculty, and staff who are currently associated with Notre Dame and using Notre Dame resources and equipment.
The OIT recommends and supports Windows 10.
Currently, the OIT also provides support for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.
All other versions of Windows are not recommended or supported for Notre Dame academic, business, or general use. Visit the Microsoft Support Lifecycle website for more information.
- The OIT recommends and supports macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
- Currently, the OIT also provides support for 10.11 (El Capitan). and OS 10.10 (Yosemite).
- Other versions of macOS are not recommended or supported for Notre Dame academic, business, or general use as they are not supported by Apple.
- The OIT recommends and supports the latest version of iOS.
- If your device can not be upgraded to the latest version of iOS, then it is not recommended for Notre Dame academic, business, or general use as it is not supported by Apple.
- The OIT does not support jailbroken iOS devices, and advises that applications ONLY be downloaded from the Apple App Store.
- The OIT recommends the latest version of Android. The level of support provided by the OIT will vary by provider and device.
- The OIT does not support rooted Android devices, and advises that applications ONLY be downloaded from the Google Play store.
Other Operating Systems
- Chrome OS / Chromebook - Currently not recommended or supported by the OIT.
- Linux - Currently not supported by the OIT for client devices. For individuals that can self-support on Linux, running the latest, up-to-date patched version of Fedora, RedHat Enterprise Linux, Debian, or Ubuntu is acceptable.
OIT staff have access to these products and will help with installation, configuration and usage, and may offer training and supplemental documentation. University departments may provide and support additional applications not listed here.
Support is generally limited to the two most recent versions of the products listed below, although some exceptions may apply. Additional software titles may be available, but OIT support for applications not listed below may be limited to installation assistance for authorized members of the ND community.
Some of the software below is available for download. If we have additional instructions and information about an application, you'll find a link to it in the list below.
- Access (Microsoft)
- Acrobat Pro (Adobe)
- BitLocker (Microsoft)
- Boot Camp (Apple)
- Chrome (Google)
- Cisco Clean Access Agent
- Cisco VoIP Phones and related apps
- Cisco VPN
- Citrix client
- Contribute (Macromedia)
- Dreamweaver (Macromedia)
- Excel (Microsoft)
- Firefox (Mozilla)
- Fireworks (Macromedia)
- Flash (Macromedia)
- Google at ND
- Identity Finder
- Internet Explorer (Microsoft)
- iTunes (Apple)
- Mac OS X Mail (Apple)
- MS VPN
- ND Backup
- OpenAFS client
- Outlook (Microsoft)
- Photoshop (Adobe)
- PowerPoint (Microsoft)
- QuickTime (Apple)
- Reader (Adobe)
- RefWorks (provided by Hesburgh Libraries)
- Safari (Apple)
- Security Essentials (Microsoft)
- Sensitive Number Finder
- Sophos Antivirus for Mac
- Stuffit Expander (Smith Micro)
- System Center EndPoint Protection
- Windows Media Player (Microsoft)
- Word (Microsoft)
- WordPerfect (Corel)
Contact the OIT Help Desk
Notre Dame ranks #6
on IDG's Computerworld
Best Places to
Work in IT 2016
Help Desk FAQs
- How do I change my password?
- I'm new to ND, how do I get started with IT services?
- How do I learn about other features of the VoIP telephone service?
- How do I access my email & calendar?
- How do I get on the wifi network?